The Eighth Man

Room Revealed At Top of Mid-Atlantic

The Mid-Atlantic Regional Championship was projected to be boring. Every self-proclaimed analyst spouted the same story leading up to the main event: The Pot One teams would sweep their pools and University of Maryland would clean up the tournament with nary a challenge. Today showed that is not the case.

In their first two games of the day, Maryland allowed far closer scores than anyone predicted, including a snitch-range game against community team Capital Madness. Fingers can be pointed at a multitude of causations for such events unfolding, but what it ultimately comes down to is Maryland wins and loses in their own heads. Despite returning to their usual form in their third game—a match-up against newcomer West Virginia University—the day was enough to show Maryland is not infallible and would not just assume the title of regional champion.

While Maryland turned heads, Pool A demanded onlookers pay mind. University of Richmond was projected by many to sweep their pool. However, an early morning upset raised some eyebrows. Johns Hopkins University put up a 120*-90 win against the Spiders, denying them their 4-0 record. A poor showing at Keystone Cup followed by this loss and Richmond’s overall performance on the day makes one question if Richmond’s win over QC Boston: the Massacre at Oktoberfest was just a fluke. Still, Richmond will move forward with one of the top four seeds thanks to the results of their fellow poolmates’ matches. Richmond, like Maryland, has more to prove going into day two to show they deserve not just their laughably-easy-to-obtain bid to World Cup but any sort of recognition as a regional contender.

The rest of the pools went as expected without any huge upsets. Villanova University handled their pool, taking on of the top seeds. University of North Carolina will go into day two as the top seed by merit of point differential, meaning a Turtle Cup-final rematch between the Tar Heels and Terrapins cannot occur until the final.

While a UNC/Maryland final remains the safest bet, it is difficult to predict who will meet these two teams in the semifinals. Several teams have shown they can challenge those thought to be a rung above. If a team wants to beat Maryland, they will not only need to put up the quaffle points, but also step up their snitch game, as the defending champ is four for four in SWIM situations and 15 for 16 on catches.

Having addressed today’s gameplay, it is difficult not to bring up a couple policies that could spell trouble and that the USQ will likely look to reign in for forthcoming regional championships. The first is the forfeiture policy.

There were two forfeits day one of the Mid-Atlantic Regional Championship. QC Pittsburgh forfeited their matchup against UNC due to a serious injury caused by a legal tackle, and the Horn Tailed Horcruxes forfeited their game against Maryland due to an inability to field seven players—the majority of the team was enjoying an extended lunch break. Yes, the opposing teams were awarded 150*-0 wins, but Pittsburgh and the Horcruxes proceeded to play one game each after their forfeitures. A team may know they will lose, but to deny the other team the opportunity to play the sport they love is unfair if the forfeiting team is capable of playing later matches.

The second policy is the lack of on-site appeals. USQ does not permit on-site appeals because when too many teams challenge calls, it takes a toll on an already overworked and stressed tournament staff. The problem with this is mistakes happen that can change the course of a game. As much effort as USQ has put forth to improve officiating, mistakes still exist and will continue to exist. However, one mistake can alter a team’s chances to go to the big show. Without appeals, the only thing the tournament staff can do to prevent further reffing mistakes is to replace the referee a complaint is brought against. This seems extreme when there may only be one rule in question, but if a player receives a red card from said mistake, it could breed disaster for his or her team henceforth in the tournament. I trust that a solution will be found if only they take the time to look.

All that being said, aside from taking up my Halloween and a little bit of rain, this has been a fantastically run tournament and much more exciting than expected. I look forward to seeing the bracket games tomorrow. As a final note from your author, the best upset of the day can be found below.

9 Comments

1. Chandler

November 2, 2014 at 12:26 am

Legal hit, yes. Unnecessary hit, yes.
    At least three girls were seriously injured on the day from rough hits from guys. As a guy who likes to hit, that is something that should not happen! That is something that should be looked into being changed far before any forfeit policy.

2. Raga

November 2, 2014 at 12:29 am

That’s completely unfair. It’s not like you were in our huddle. No good would’ve come out of finishing that game. We were angry. To be honest, we were just looking to hurt people at that point. Some things are just more important than Quidditch. Get over yourself.

Love,
    QC Pitt

3. Qc Pitt

November 2, 2014 at 12:46 am

First off, you weren’t there. Second, some things are a little more important than quidditch (shocking to you, I know), so we do not feel bad at all for “denying them a chance to play the sport they love”. The forfeit had nothing to do with thinking we were going to lose at all. Maybe that’s why Horcruxes did, but it’s totally unfair to group us in that same category. Yes we played our last game, but that has nothing to do with forfeiting this game that we felt would get out of hand if it were to continue. We wanted to protect our players, along with the players from the other team, from anything that would have resulted after this unnecessary injury. While the hit was legal, it was bush league and totally unnecessary.

So get off your high-horse there buddy, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

4. Ricky Nelson

November 3, 2014 at 1:55 am

I was citing the two examples that occurred. Two in one day, with both teams going on to play another game in the day. I believe that teams should be able to forfeit when necessary, but I believe it should only be allowed when a team cannot play. I would respect a team who forfeits a game because they have injuries and cannot go on. However at full strength then you need to go into this knowing you are playing a rough game and if you cannot handle it then you shouldn’t be playing it. If your justification for forfeiting was that you “were just looking to hurt people at that point” then you also shouldn’t be playing it. I have played UNC multiple times now, I know how they play and how hard they hit. Hell when a player from Pitt tackled one of our female beaters very hard but legally a few years ago, dislocating her shoulder, rather than forfeit we chose to just go on to win. So, comfortably, from my high horse I say I do know what I’m talking about and welcome to quidditch.
    Sincerely,
    Two Time MARC champion Ricky Nelson

• QC Pitt

November 6, 2014 at 5:10 pm

I think we know a little bit about Quidditch. But congrats on the championship!

Sincerely,
      2 time World Cup Final Four Team QC Pittsburgh

• Ricky Nelson

November 6, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Your team used to
        Sincerely,
        A world cup qualified player

• Allison former QC Pitt Chaser

November 7, 2014 at 12:00 pm

You are representing Quidditch horribly Ricky. Quidditch is supposed to be fun. It’s supposed to be for everyone. You attacking Pitt is so unsportsmanlike and disrespectful. I quit because I had a concussion at the last World Cup and couldn’t speak for 2 weeks. From a LEGAL tackle. So I quit. Sports are supposed to be fun. Being competitive over a post is immature and ridiculous. Who cares if Pitt didnt qualify this year? Who cares if you qualified? You are making the Eighth Man look so bad.

• Ricky Nelson

November 7, 2014 at 6:21 pm

I did not start a battle because I though Piitt was unspotsmanlike, in fact I still don’t. What I did take offense with is statements like “So get off your high-horse there buddy, you don’t know what you’re talking about” and “Get over yourself”. Chandlers statements were respectful and reasoned and I accept that, the others, I simply chose to respond with the same maturity they showed. If they had chosen to simply criticize the merits of the article it would be one thing but I will respond with personal attacks in the same manner.

5. Chandler

November 3, 2014 at 10:29 am

Ricky,
    It’s a rough sport, it’s rugby on brooms really, and all of us who play that know what we are getting ourselves into. When a 200 lb man hits a 120 lb girl who is half a foot shorter than he is with no restraint, it’s unnecessary. Maybe it makes him feel tough I don’t know, but I can tell you he could have accomplished his goal of shutting down our beater play with other means. They were up by 70, holding one bludger, and protecting the other. At that point they are controlling the game. Frankly, they could’ve just ignored her and continued playing the way they were and still go on to get their +120 differential.
    Fact of the matter is, not all girls are as big and athletic as your girls are. They are a big reason why you are 2 time Mid-Atlantic Champions. Most of the girls who play this sport are smaller than us guys and if we don’t learn respect that fact then girls will continue to get hurt, and the sport will be at risk of not being co-ed anymore.
    This hit was bush and if we continued, like I wanted to, I would’ve dropped my broom and thrown a punch to show him and anyone else that if you play dirty I will make you pay.
    As for your girl 2 years ago, I’m sorry. I was not there, but I imagine we were not up 80-10.